What Fear Free Veterinary Visits Mean for You and Your Pet
For many pet owners, taking their furry loved one to the veterinarian requires a nearly Herculean effort. Whether it’s battling Fluffy to get into her carrier (if you can even find her when it’s time to go), struggling with a scared dog, or anything in between, it’s natural to hesitate when it comes to the logistics of getting your pet the care they need.
Many pets miss out on basic preventive care, and even sick care, due to their extreme fear; but the times they are a-changin. Helping pets get the care they need and deserve is our passion at Highway Veterinary Hospital, and we are proud to embrace the trend of Fear Free veterinary visits.
What is the Fear Free Initiative?
The Fear Free Initiative was originally founded by Dr. Marty Becker, DVM, and developed with the help of board-certified veterinary behaviorists, technician behavior specialists, veterinary anesthesiologists, veterinary practice management experts, and other veterinary practitioners.
The goal of the Fear Free Initiative is to help veterinarians and staff modify their facilities and handling techniques to create a calm, comfortable environment for pet patients.
Fear Free Veterinary Visits
At Highway Veterinary Hospital we firmly believe that the mental and emotional states of animals are just as important as their physical health. We know that pets receive better care when they’re comfortable and calm, and owners are more likely to bring pets in when they’ve had a positive experience with us.
Keeping pet patients relaxed can involve:
- Providing you with strategies to help you get your pets to and from our office calmly and safely
- Using treats, toys, and praise to calm nervous pets
- Staff trained in the use of proper handling techniques designed to reduce fear in pets
- Patient-friendly exam rooms and waiting room
Besides having a Fear Free certified doctor on staff, we have ramped up our Fear Free initiatives to include:
- The use of dog and cat pheromones in-hospital
- Educating our staff on special cat-handling techniques
- More treat options for picky pets
- The use of Licki Mats to soothe anxious pets
Don’t hesitate to contact us with your questions about the Fear Free Initiative or to schedule an appointment for your pet.