Posts Tagged: Pet Toxins
Here in the Chesapeake Bay Watershed, we are lucky enough to be able to enjoy the water with our friends and family. Especially this time of year many of our families, two legged and four, are in the water swimming, boating, or just lounging.
The water is not without worry, though, and it is important to enjoy it responsibly. One potential peril that is not on the radar of many pet parents is cyanobacteria, also known as blue-green algae. Highway Veterinary Hospital hopes that you will add blue-green algae toxicity to your list of things to know about for water safety.Continue…
As a dedicated and involved pet owner, you know the drill – you do your very best to prevent illness or injury, and if that doesn’t work, seek help immediately. In the case of accidental exposure to dangerous chemicals, medication or foods, it’s always best to err on the side of caution.
Because a pet poisoning can cause irreparable damage to a pet’s health, it is imperative to prevent them from eating anything containing Xylitol, and provide emergency care if you know or suspect ingestion.
Good For Us, Bad For Them
Xylitol is a sugar substitute that naturally occurs in various berries, fruits, trees, and other plants. It has gained traction in wellness circles because of its low glycemic index.Continue…