Xylitol: A Leading Cause of Pet Poisoning 

As a dedicated and involved pet owner, you know the drill – you do your very best to prevent illness or injury, and if that doesn’t work, seek help immediately. In the case of accidental exposure to dangerous chemicals, medication or foods, it’s always best to err on the side of caution.

Because a pet poisoning can cause irreparable damage to a pet’s health, it is imperative to prevent them from eating anything containing Xylitol, and provide emergency care if you know or suspect ingestion.

Good For Us, Bad For Them

Xylitol is a sugar substitute that naturally occurs in various berries, fruits, trees, and other plants. It has gained traction in wellness circles because of its low glycemic index.

Continue…

The Key to Reducing Pet Poisonings? Eliminating Exposure to Certain Foods

pet poisoningsAnimals are naturally curious – that’s one reason we love them! But sometimes, curiosity and exploration can have disastrous results. Take, for example, the foods that fill our own cupboards and fridges. While most of it isn’t bad for your pet, some things are downright toxic. When you know without a doubt the various things your pet should never, ever eat, you drastically reduce potential pet poisonings. Those are odds we can live with – how about you?

Too Many to Count

To be sure, many pet owners are unaware that something in the house could endanger their pet – until frightening symptoms surface. Sure, we all do our best to ensure the house is free of choking hazards, entanglement issues, and, of course, toxins, but many things slip through the cracks.

It’s also not uncommon for pet owners to be highly vigilant at first, only to let things slide a bit after a pet demonstrates an obvious lack of interest in dangerous items. Letting down your guard can be the fastest route to pet poisonings.

Continue…